Tuesday, June 12, 2007


Three Beers On An Empty Stomach


The first was brought to me by an Ogre
Hideous in appearance and slow moving
His face changing, boiling with skin eruptions
It tasted of vomit, churned up a horrible stench
Burned my hands as I cupped them around it

But I drank it down

The second was set before me with agitation
Served by a frightening, ugly witch
Whose teeth were filed to sharp points
Her voice like razor wire slashing my soul
This one, too, had a rotting, foul odor
But it burned less as I brought it to my lips

And I drank it down

The third replaced the second with less fuss
A large, grinning, hairy Ape the server
Whose clumsy movements nearly spilled it
Causing me to change my grim expression
Laughing off the spreading stink
Shrugging off the irritation, I grinned

And drank it down

The ones that followed were served by Angels
Golden haired with soft, white wings
Just like in the story books, the bible
Their voices propped me up like a song
The drinks now a Heavenly mixture
Of liquid happiness and warmth

I drank each one that came

It all made sense now, I thought
The logic of the world’s demise
My minor role in bringing it down
All the flaws, the cracks, the fissures
In that noble facade were widening

I ordered one more for the road
And drank that one down

-Ye Olde Blowharde

No comments: